Climate change is real and presents significant risks to economic growth, health, and prosperity. The solution should be economy-wide and market-based. A transparent price on emissions incentivizes low-carbon consumer and business choices, accelerates the commercialization of low-carbon technologies, and is the most efficient way to fight climate change.
We urge Congress to pass and the President to sign legislation that prices carbon that is consistent with the following principles:
- Enables the US to achieve its 2025 greenhouse gas reduction goals and puts US emissions on the path keep global temperature increases well below 2 degrees Celsius.
- Establishes an economy-wide system to price carbon emissions.
- Increases the global competitiveness of US businesses.
- Provides a price signal strong enough to reduce the need for future regulation of carbon emissions, while preserving the EPA's present Clean Air Act regulatory authority.
- Provides flexibility to use complementary policies to reinforce effect of carbon pricing.
- Preserve all families’ access to reliable, affordable energy.
- Ensures a just transition for affected workers, families, and communities.
- Incentivizes comparable action by other nations.
REGISTER YOUR SUPPORT For CCL's LEGISLATIVE Proposal for Carbon Fee & Dividend
Sign On to the National Effort to Enact a Federal Price on Carbon as the Core Solution to Climate Change
Most policy experts agree that the cheapest and most effective way to reduce carbon emissions is to price them; that is, to make emitters cover the costs that their emissions impose on society. Carbon pricing is not just a theory: 40 countries and over 20 subnational jurisdictions, representing almost 25 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions, already have carbon pricing in place. Currently, 12 percent of global emissions are covered by carbon pricing, and that number will increase significantly as China unfolds its carbon market in 2017. Carbon pricing is already business reality for those with global operations.
It is high time for the US to adopt its own global market standard by implementing carbon pricing as an economy-wide, market-based solution against climate change.
Sign the Carbon Pricing Principles
These principles were adopted by and are shared by BCL, the American Sustainable Business Council, Ceres' Business for Innovation and Clean Energy Policy, Partnership for Responsible Growth, Corporate Climate Alliance and others as a values-based way to understand key issues of carbon pricing, as well as a starting point for comparing specific policy proposals.
What It Means To Sign On
The principles and signatories to the principles will be released at a the most influential legislative time during the upcoming session of Congress, when we have reached a critical mass of signing companies.
There is no obligation to take additional action once your company has signed on. However, all signatories are invited to take part in private and public meetings with lawmakers and reporters and to make their support known in the public arena. Companies will be notified before any release to get permission to be included in any legislative endorsement. For additional questions, please contact us at BCL.
Fill out the form below to sign on to the Carbon Pricing Principles.