THE CARBON PRICING PRINCIPLES
Climate change presents significant risks to economic growth, health, and prosperity. A transparent price on GHG emissions incentivizes low-carbon consumer and business choices, accelerates the commercialization of low-carbon technologies, and is the most efficient way to fight climate change.
The following carbon pricing principles were adopted by and are shared by BCL, the American Sustainable Business Council, Ceres' Business for Innovation and Clean Energy Policy, Partnership for Responsible Growth, Corporate Climate Alliance, the National Ski Areas Association, and others as a values-based way to:
- Frame the key issues of carbon pricing
- Compare specific policy proposals
- Express support for carbon pricing
WE URGE CONGRESS TO PASS AND THE PRESIDENT TO SIGN LEGISLATION, CONSISTENT WITH THE FOLLOWING PRINCIPLES, THAT:
- Enables the US to achieve its 2025 greenhouse gas reduction goals and puts US emissions on the path keep global temperature increases well below 2 degrees Celsius.
- Establishes an economy-wide system to price carbon emissions.
- Increases the global competitiveness of US businesses.
- Provides a price signal strong enough to reduce the need for future regulation of carbon emissions, while preserving the EPA's present Clean Air Act regulatory authority.
- Provides flexibility to use complementary policies to reinforce effect of carbon pricing.
- Preserves all families’ access to reliable, affordable energy.
- Ensures a just transition for affected workers, families, and communities.
- Incentivizes comparable action by other nations.
Sign Onto The Principles
There is no obligation to take additional action once your company has signed on. However, all signatories are invited to take part in private and public meetings with lawmakers and reporters and to make their support known in the public arena. Companies will be notified before any release to get permission to be included in any legislative endorsement. For additional questions, please contact us at BCL.